Friday, June 5, 2009

The beginning of English classes- and some other goodies.

Diana and I are now lovely English teachers of grades pre-school to 6th grade! That's ages 3 to 12!!!


I love it so much. I love the kids, they're all so excited and interested in us. Even when their excitement gets the best of them, I love them. And even though Diana has a phobia of germs, she loves them.

The first week was a little rough, due to our angry tummies and our fear of unfamiliar bathrooms, but now that our stomachs have become more accustomed to the cuisine here, this week should be much better. Also, we have a better idea of what we need to be teaching, and how to keep the students' attention.



This is Erasmo's trusty car which takes us up to the school in Huaycan every Tuesday and Thursday. It's a 1976 VW bug, bright red. It has no horn. Which is kinda scary, since everyone here uses their horn very frequently, just as a normal driving tool. "hey, I'm here, so don't hit me." Also, his car will not go into reverse. It won't go above about 40mph either, but that part is alright, because I get enough of going 100kph every time we take a taxi- it's like being in a race with a hundred other cars! So really, I don't mind much that it takes us an hour to get to the school, it's a nice time to think.

After our first day, Erasmo took us around some other areas of Huaycan to show us another project that ASCEND has worked on called "Wawa Wasi". It means "baby house" in Quechua. These little day-care like houses are places where young children can stay while both of their parents are down in the town or city working. We stopped at three of them (to the great disagreement of my bowels). At the first one, we met the most adorable little boy, Sebastian. He is going to be a soccer star, I'm sure.


Apart from the school, I've been working on the floor-plan/seating-arrangements for ASCEND's Gala in Lima on July 23rd. And I must say, I'm pleased with it. I'm not so familiar with Microsoft Publisher, but I made due since I have no access to Photoshop or Illustrator (oh, how pampered we are at the U).
Today I finished the second floor layout and pasted together the plans for both floors on the wall so we can start marking how many seats we've sold, and who will be sitting where.

Lima is growing on me a little. I love that we can just go down the block to the little bodegas and get an ice cream for less than 75 cents. I love that if our clothes come back from the washing place dirty, we have five more to choose from.



CLICK HERE FOR MORE PICTURES OF HUAYCAN AND THE SCHOOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment