Monday, June 8, 2009

Saturday cathedral, Sunday cleaning.

This weekend Blake's sister was visiting for her senior trip, so we took a Saturday excursion to El Centro de Lima, where there are some really old, really big, really cool cathedrals.
We got to visit the catacombs under one; it was my first time in catacombs, they were eerie. The story is that people would "pay" the catholic church money to be buried down there, but we came up with plenty of ideas why the church might want to get rid of some pesky problem.. so as to have a better time of course!

The insides as well as the outsides of these cathedrals are incredible, and just mind-boggling to me! They're gigantic! This one was my favorite ceiling. I want my living room to have these colors.

Saturday evening, we had dinner with a family in our neighborhood. It was SO delicious. We're good friends with their kids, so we sat around and talked for a bit. In Spanglish.

Then that night I found my favorite places in Lima, the flower market and El Parque de Aguas. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera, so next time I go there, I will take pics, and explain more. But at least I know that for 4 Soles and a taxi ride, I can be in a little piece of heaven.
Sunday was productive. I deep-cleaned the kitchen, while Diana deep-cleaned our bathroom. Now I am not afraid to touch the knobs on the oven! Woot!
Then I made some rolls from scratch, thanks to my mom sending me some recipes when I complained about the bread.. hehe. Thanks mommy! The rolls weren't like she makes them, but hey, she's my MOM.
Diana made rice and lentils for dinner with a side of patacones (if you didn't know, patacones are deep-fried plantains.. omg, best thing in the world). I helped! Then we fed Blake and Becca before they left on their superlong bus ride to Cuzco, after that, the rest of us, Taylor, Rob, Diana and I sat down to have a good family meal. It was MUY RICO! Thanks Diana!

Diana and I are both so happy that our tummies are feeling better. We made lunch together at home today, and got some ice cream bars for desert! *knock on wood*

*shoutout to my fam- I love you guys!*

FOR MORE PICS OF MY SECOND WEEK IN PERU, CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment